How Do I Obtain a Fiancé Visa in the United States?

Becoming a United States citizen with a K-1 visa through marriage is not easy. In order to remain in the United States, there are several rules you must follow. One of the biggest rules is that you must marry your fiancé within 90 days of your entry into the United States. If you would like to speak about this further, our skilled Wisconsin immigration attorneys are here to help. Contact us today.

What are the criteria for obtaining a fiancé visa in the United States?

There are several factors that you will need to take note of if you would like to learn more about how you can obtain a fiancé visa in the United States. The following criteria are what courts will use to determine whether or not the qualification for this visa is valid:

  • You will need to verify that after you enter the United States, you will not become a public charge. You must prove that your future spouse’s income meets or exceeds 100% of the US poverty guidelines.
  • You will have to go through an interview process, submit a medical examination, and background check.
  • You must display evidence that you have met your prospective spouse at a minimum of two years before you file. To prove this, you can provide photographs, text messages, email communications, and more.

If you are interested in learning more about how to obtain a visa as a fiancé, do not hesitate to reach out to our skilled Wisconsin immigration attorneys at the Sesini Law Group today.

What if I fail to get married within 90 days of entry into the United States?

In the case that you do not get married within 90 days, there is a very high possibility that you will be denied your ability to enter the United States and become a United States citizen. Because you are only to be granted admission into the United States based on the sole fact that you would be marrying a K-1 visa petitioner, failing to marry in 90 days would remove your eligibility entirely. However, in some situations, if you can prove that you married your spouse within 90 days, though you divorced afterward, you may be able to get a green card without the aid of your spouse. It is important to note that this is not always guaranteed, especially if it is found that you were only marrying to obtain entry into the United States.

Do not hesitate to reach out to our skilled Wisconsin immigration attorneys if you have any additional questions. Our dedicated legal team is furnished with the knowledge and experience needed to ensure that you have all of the information you require.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C., and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Do I Apply for an EB-1 Visa?
  •  What Happens During the Fiancé Visa Interview?
  •  What Happens if My Visa Is Denied?
  •  What Are Tips For Avoiding Deportation?