N-400 Application Lawyer in Milwaukee, WI

N-400 Application Lawyer in Milwaukee, WI

Wisconsin N-400 Attorney

Naturalization is how immigrants become citizens of the United States. If you would like to apply for naturalization, you should use the Application for Naturalization – Form N-400. Additionally, if you would like to apply for citizenship for a child who is under 18 years old, you should use the “Application for Certificate of Citizenship – Form N-600. It is important to have quality legal support through this significant legal matter. Contact Sesini Law Group for a consultation to discuss your path to citizenship.

Qualifications for citizenship

There are many paths to citizenship. You may be eligible to apply for a green card and then for citizenship through your family, a job offer or employment, refugee or asylum status, or other special provisions. In some cases, you may even be able to self-petition.

Eligibility categories are:

  • Family-Based
  • Job or employment-based
  • Refugee or asylum
  • Special programs


Immediate relatives of U.S. citizens do not have to wait for a visa, and there is no limit to the number of visas that can be issued unlike with some other eligibility categories.

Immediate relatives include:

  • Parents of a U.S. citizen
  • Spouses of a U.S. citizen
  • Unmarried children under the age of 21 of a U.S. citizen

Job or employment-based

People who would like to become immigrants based on employment or a job offer may apply for permanent residence or an immigrant visa when they are outside of the country. Entry in this category is limited.

The U.S. Department of State is the agency that allocates and grants visa numbers. Employment-based visas are limited to 140,000 per year. Additionally, there are limits to the percentage of visas that can be allotted to each country. Currently, about 234,000 people have applied for employment-based adjustment of status green cards in the United States and are waiting for a visa. If you are interested in obtaining a visa in a competitive category such as employment, it is particularly helpful to have the advice and assistance of an experienced immigration attorney.

Refugee or asylum

If you were admitted to the United States as a refugee or as a qualifying spouse or child of a refugee, you are required to apply for permanent residence one year after your entry into the United States. Additionally, if you were granted asylum in the United States or are a qualifying spouse or child of an asylee, you may apply for permanent residence one year after the grant of your asylum status.

The Process

Petitioning for adjustment of status can take several months to more than a year and will require biometrics and a formal interview. If the person petitioning is the spouse of a United States citizen, then the immigration officer conducting the interview will require proof of a valid marriage. While the Adjustment of Status Application is being processed, many people also file for employment authorization and “advance parole” allowing them to work and travel to and from the United States prior to completion.

Contact Sesini Law Group

If you would like to apply for citizenship, consult with an experienced immigration attorney. It is always a good idea to consult with an immigration attorney when you prepare an immigration-related petition or waiver request to obtain legal advice and assistance. Also, an attorney can assist you in identifying and collecting the best evidence to support your petition or waiver request. Contact Sesini Law Group.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is a National Interest Waiver?
  •  What Is the Visa Bulletin?
  •  Who Is Eligible for an F2 Visa?
  •  What Is an Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing?