Naturalization Videos

USCIS Announces Revised Civics Test | What You Need to Know

When a nonimmigrant wishes to become a United States citizen, they will have to take an exam regarding their understanding of the English language and U.S. history and civics. Passing this exam is a critical part of obtaining citizenship, which is why if you are someone who is looking to gain citizenship in the United States, you should have a firm understanding of the recent change that USCIS has made to the exam. Please continue reading and speak with our experienced Wisconsin immigration attorneys to learn more. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How do I become a United States citizen?

To become a United States citizen, there are three potential routes you can take: family-based immigration, employment-based immigration, and refugee/asylum-based immigration. That being said, to qualify for naturalization, you will have to meet several requirements. First, you will have to take an Oath of Allegiance to the United States. You must also be at least 18 years old and be a permanent resident in the United States for at least five years, be present in the United States for at least 30 months, and you mist live for at least three months in the state or district where you apply for citizenship.

How does the new exam differ from the previous exam?

As you know, the original test regarding U.S. history and civics was rather intensive, however, the new test will require individuals to have even more extensive knowledge of U.S. history and civics. This means that you will have additional opportunities when preparing for your exam, all while being in line with statutory requirements.

When does the new exam take effect?

All those who apply for naturalization before December 1, 2020, will take the current version of the exam, and those who apply for naturalization after December 1, 2020, will have to take the newly-updated exam.

What can I do to prepare for the naturalization exam?

Fortunately, there are various resources available to those looking to pass the naturalization exam. Additionally, you should understand that the naturalization exam is only 20 questions, which means that to pass your naturalization exam, you will only have to answer 12 out of 20 questions correctly, meaning you must receive a score of at least 60%. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to speak with our experienced Wisconsin immigration attorney today to learn more about how our firm can help you.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C., and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read More

I have been out of the country for a year, as a green card holder can I apply for citizenship?

  • The problem is, if you stay outside of the United States for more than one year, immigration is going to look at that.
  • The statutes state that you’ve broken your continuous residence in the United States. You’re not going to be eligible for citizenship right away. You will have to stay in the United States to reconcile the loss of physical presence.
Read More

Can I travel when my naturalization application is pending?

  • Yes, but be very careful that you don’t stay out of the United States for more than six months
  • If you have an issue with physical presence where you have to have at least half your time in the United States make sure that you don’t stay out of the United States where it affects that physical presence.
Read More

Which family members can I sponsor after becoming US citizen?

  • As a US citizen, you can file for your spouse, your children, your parents, a fiancé and siblings.
  • As a legal permanent resident, you can also file for your spouse and children; however they go on a waiting list because it’s not immediate relative.
  • As a legal permanent resident, you cannot file for your parent or your sibling, nor can you file for a fiancé.
Read More

Is it possible to have dual citizenship?

  • The United States does not like someone having dual citizenship.
  • The individual can have dual citizenship, for example, myself. I was born in the United States, I am a citizen of the United States. By my birth, because my father was not a citizen of the United States when I was born, I am automatically a citizen of Italy. In those type of instances, we can have dual citizenship.
Read More

Read Our Latest Blog Posts