Deportation Defense Videos

If the waiver gets approved how long would my spouse have to leave the US?

  • It really depends on the type of waiver. If we focus on a spouse petition, a US citizen spouse, and the spouse has filed a 601A provisional waiver, then that spouse generally is returned within one week.
  • There’s a separate type of a waiver. For example, there’s nothing to deal with the out-of-status time and some more of a criminal or other immigration violation. Those individuals can stay out of the country for six months to a year. It depends on the country.
Read More

Can i apply for my parents who are undocumented, if I am a 21 years old US citizen?

  • Parents would have to return to Mexico to obtain an immigrant visa if they’re not 245(i) eligible. Unfortunately they’re not going to be eligible for a waiver because most of those parents have been illegally in the United States for one year or more so as soon as they leave the United States to obtain their immigrant visa, they start a ten year bar from returning to the United States.
  • For a spouse or a child there are waivers eligible so he or she can come back to the United States. However, for a parent of a USC, they are not eligible for a waiver.
  • That waiver was abolished under the new IIRIRA laws in 1996 so if your parent returns to the home country so that a waiver can be filed, please be aware that parent is going to have to remain outside of the United States for ten years before a waiver becomes eligible for him to return.


Read More

Can I apply for waiver if my US citizen sibling files for me?

  • Yes, but the sibling is not a qualifying relative for the waiver so what that means is you need either a parent or a spouse and depending on what type of waiver. Sometimes children are qualifying relatives.
  • Depending on the waiver if you have those other family members in the United States that are permanent residents or citizens, then and only then will you be eligible to file for a waiver.


Read More

What is 212C relief and who qualifies?

  • 212C Relief is relief from deportation for legal permanent residents who were convicted of a crime prior to 1996.
  • It could be a drug-trafficking crime or any other aggravated felony. It’s only limited to those crimes where the conviction took place prior to 1996.
  • To be eligible for that, you just have to show that you’ve been in the United States for five years, and that your deportation would result in extreme hardship to yourself or to your family.
  • So if you do find yourself in that position and you have an aggravated felony conviction that was pre-1996, don’t think you’re going to be deported.
Read More

I have been in the United State for 10 years, can I get a Green Card?

  • You can obtain a Green Card if you have been in the United States for 10 years if you are in deportation proceedings.
  • Many of my clients are in deportation proceedings due to committing a crime. After serving their sentence, they are automatically taken to The Department of Homeland Security and placed into custody. If you find yourself in that position, you are eligible to apply for a Green Card in front of the immigration judge if you can satisfy the following requirements:
    • You have to be a person of good moral character, which means that you can not have been convicted of an aggravated felony or a crime involving moral turpitude with a maximum sentence of one year or more and the sentence was six months or more.
    • You also have to show that your deportation would result in an exceptional hardship to your permanent resident or citizen spouse, children, or parents.


Read More

Read Our Latest Blog Posts