Can I Leave the United States While My Green Card is Pending?

To learn more about what you can and cannot do while your green card is pending in the United States, continue reading and speak with an experienced Milwaukee, WI green card attorney today.

Can I move while my green card case is still pending with the USCIS?

If you are going through the process of obtaining a green card and you will be moving while your case is still pending, it is imperative that you update your address with the USCIS within 10 days of your move to ensure that you do not miss any critical information about your case. If you fail to do this update, you risk not receiving crucial news about your case. You can update your address either through your USCIS online account, or you can file the Form AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card, via the USCIS Change of Address online page.

To learn more about what you need to do if you have moved while your case is still pending, reach out to our attorneys today.

How long does Form I-485 take to process with the USCIS?

Your form should process between 6.5 months to 20.5 months in Wisconsin. In the event that your wait time has reached longer than 20.5 months since you’ve submitted your application, do not hesitate to reach out to our firm to discuss the specifics of your case and how we can help.

Can I check the status of my case?

If you would like to check the status of your pending application, you can either call USCIS at 800-375-5283 or visit USCIS’s Case Status online page and enter the receipt number you obtained after filing your Form I-485.

Can I leave the United States while my case is pending?

You must file Form I-131, Application for Travel Document if you need to leave the United States while your case is still pending. It is critical to understand that if you leave the country without filing an advance parole document while you still have a pending Form I-485, you will be abandoning your application, which can negatively impact your ability to receive a Green Card. If you have any further questions, it is in your best interest to reach out to our experienced immigration firm. Our Wisconsin family immigration lawyers wants nothing more than to provide our clients with the security they need to live a happy life in the United States.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C., and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?
  •  What Should I Know About the New Action to Secure the Border?
  •  What is an EB-3 Visa?
  •  How Can I Prepare for My Green Card Interview?