What Happens if I Do Not Marry My Fiancé Within 90 Days of Entry Into the U.S.?

Many people enter the United States and become citizens on the basis of marriage to a United States citizen every year. These visas are known as K-1 visas. That being said, to stay in the United States, you will have to abide by the terms of your K-1 visa, and if you do not, you may face very serious repercussions as a result. One of the most critical and time-sensitive aspects of these agreements include having to marry the individual within 90 days of your entry into the United States. Please continue reading and speak with our Wisconsin immigration attorneys to learn more about what will happen if you fail to marry your partner within 90 days. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How do I obtain a fiance visa?

If you are looking to obtain a fiance visa here in the United States, you will have to meet the following criteria:

  • You must provide proof that you have met your future spouse at least two years before filing. To prove this, you can provide photographs, text messages, email correspondence, and more.
  • You will have to prove that after you enter the United States, you will not become a public charge. You must prove that your future spouse’s income meets or exceeds 100% of the US poverty guidelines.
  • You will have to attend an interview, medical examination, and background check.

What happens if I do not get married within 90 days of entry?

If you do not get married within 90 days, there is a very good chance that you will be denied your ability to enter the United States and become a U.S. citizen. Since you are only to be granted admission into the United States based on marrying the K-1 visa petitioner, if you fail to do so within 90 days, you will most likely be barred from the country. However, in certain cases, if you can prove that you married your spouse within 90 days, though you divorced afterward, you may pursue a green card without the assistance of your spouse (the K-1 petitioner). However, this is not always a given, as it may be determined that you were only marrying to gain entry into the United States. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to speak with our Wisconsin family immigration attorneys today. We are here to help.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C., and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Who Is Eligible for an F-3 Visa?
  •  What is an R-1 Visa?
  •  How Can I Become a Naturalized Citizen?
  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?