What is an Adjustment of Status?

There are few things more important to immigrants than becoming permanent residents of the United States. If you’re looking to obtain an adjustment of status, please continue reading and speak with a dedicated adjustment of status immigration attorney in WI to learn more about how we can help you through the process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What is an adjustment of status?

Non-citizens can petition to become lawful permanent residents of the United States through the process known as an adjustment of status. That said, you should understand that not every non-citizen is eligible for an adjustment of status.

Do I qualify?

To qualify, you’ll need to meet various criteria and prove that you qualify either on the grounds of family-based immigration, refugee/asylum, special programs, or job/employment-based immigration. For example, to qualify through family-based immigration, you’ll need to prove that you are an immediate relative of a United States citizen, such as a parent, spouse, or unmarried child under the age of 21. Ultimately, regardless of the grounds on which you’re looking to receive a status change, you’ll be best served with our seasoned Wisconsin immigration attorneys in your corner.

How do I get it?

To receive an adjustment of status, you’ll need to file a petition, which can take several months, or, in some cases, even more than a year. Likely, you’ll need to submit biometrics and attend a formal interview with USCIS. If you’re looking to become a lawful permanent resident on the basis of marriage, you will need to provide proof that you are getting married to a United States citizen. While you’re waiting for approval, you may be eligible to file for employment authorization to work here in the United States and “advance parole,” which gives you the right to work and travel to and from the U.S. before you receive formal approval.

If you have any further questions about how you can become a lawful permanent resident of the United States, please don’t hesitate to speak with the Sesini Law Group, S.C. today. We are here to help you through each step of the legal process ahead. All you need to do is get in touch.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C., and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?
  •  What Should I Know About the New Action to Secure the Border?
  •  What is an EB-3 Visa?
  •  How Can I Prepare for My Green Card Interview?