Do I Qualify for an EAD in the United States?

If you’re looking to live and work here in the United States, one of the most important things you can do is first get an Employment Authorization Document, also known as an EAD. Please continue reading and reach out to our dedicated work authorization permit lawyer in Milwaukee, WI to learn more about whether you’ll qualify and how our legal team can help you get one. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How do I know if I can get an EAD in the United States?

The first thing you should understand is that not everyone automatically qualifies for an Employment Authorization Document. You must first be authorized to work in the United States either because of your immigration status as a refugee, U nonimmigrant, or an asylee. If you need to apply for permission to work in the United States, such as if you have a pending Form I-589, you will also need to obtain an Employment Authorization Document. In this case, you’ll need to file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.

Is there a way to renew an Employment Authorization Document?

Fortunately, if you’re looking to extend your stay and your time working here in the United States, you can renew your EAD. If your EAD is expiring or has recently expired, you can file for renewal by submitting a new Form I-765 and a filing fee.

What should I do if I can’t find my Employment Authorization Document?

If your EAD has been lost or stolen or is otherwise no longer in your possession, you can file a new Form I-765 with a filing fee. In some cases, you may not have to pay the fee if you request a fee waiter. You should also note that if your EAD contains any errors, such as a misspelling of your name, you can submit the card to USCIS with a description of what was incorrect with the document, and you shouldn’t have to pay a filing fee of any kind.

If you have any additional questions about living and working here in the United States, please don’t hesitate to speak with our seasoned immigration law firm. We are here to help you in any way we can.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C., and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Do I Apply for an EB-1 Visa?
  •  What Happens During the Fiancé Visa Interview?
  •  What Happens if My Visa Is Denied?
  •  What Are Tips For Avoiding Deportation?