For many immigrants, few things are more important than becoming naturalized citizens here in the United States. While it is a great honor to become a naturalized citizen, the truth is, many don’t fully understand all the benefits and responsibilities of becoming a naturalized citizen. Please continue reading and reach out to our dedicated Wisconsin immigration attorneys to learn more about what it means to become a naturalized citizen and how our legal team can help guide you through the process. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What is a naturalized citizen?
Essentially, naturalization is the process you must undergo to become a United States citizen if you were born outside of the United States. There are various routes by which you may become a naturalized citizen. To qualify for naturalization, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old when you apply
- Be a lawful permanent resident here in the United States for three or five consecutive years
- Be able to read and write in English
- Have continuous physical prescence in the U.S.
- Be of good moral character
- Show loyalty to the principles of the U.S. Constitution
- Take the Oath of Allegiance
What are the rights and responsibilities after I’ve been naturalized?
Once it’s determined you qualify for naturalization, you apply, take the Oath of Allegiance, and become a naturalized citizen, you’ll be afforded a wide range of rights, and you’ll also have some responsibilities to your fellow U.S. citizens. To start, some of your rights are as follows:
- You can vote in elections
- You can apply for federal employment
- You have a right to a prompt fair trial by jury
- You can lawfully remain in the United States for the rest of your life
That said, some of the responsibilities of being a U.S. citizen are as follows:
- Participating in the democratic process, such as jury duty
- You must respect local, state, and federal laws
- You should stay informed of issues in your community
- You must support and defend the Constitution
- You must pay income and other taxes timely and honestly
Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm
John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C., and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.