DHS Announces Additional H-2B Visas for the First Half of the Fiscal Year

If you are reading this blog, we might infer that you are looking to work in the United States. You should know that in order to do so you will need to acquire an H-2B visa. The DHS just announced the availability of additional H-2B visas for the first half of the fiscal year. If you are interested in obtaining one, please read on, then contact a skilled work authorization permit lawyer in Milwaukee, WI to learn whether you qualify.

DHS announces additional H-2B Visas for the first half of the fiscal year

Effective January 27, 2022, the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Labor announced the availability of 20,000 additional H-2B temporary nonagricultural worker visas for the first half of fiscal year 2022. These visas are for United State employers who are facing irreparable harm without additional workers and seeking to employ additional workers on or before March 31, 2022.

How do you qualify for these additional H-2B visas announced by DHS?

To qualify for H-2B nonimmigrant classification, the petitioner must establish the following: there are not enough United States workers who are able, willing, qualified and available to do the temporary work, the employer must have a need which is seasonal, one-time, intermittent or peak load, employing H-2B workers will not adversely affect the wages and working conditions of similarly employed United States workers and lastly, the petitioner must prove that the job time frame is less than one year. 13,500 visas are available to returning workers who received or were approved for an H-2B visa during one of the last three fiscal years. The remaining 6,500 visas are reserved for nationals of Haiti, El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras.

What can you use an H-2B visa for?

Those who meet the above-listed criteria and receive H-2B visas will have the authorization to work in the following fields:

  • Hospitality and the service industries
  • Food industry
  • Resorts and theme parks
  • Construction
  • Maintenance and janitorial work
  • Landscaping

Even if you consider yourself a stellar candidate, we would advise you to reach out to a family immigration lawyer in Milwaukee, WI to discuss your next steps. An H-2B visa can take anywhere between 60 days to 120 days to obtain. It could also take more than 6 months. A qualified legal professional can assist in shortening that window. We will also guide you through all the steps so that you can start working as soon as possible. Let us fight for you and your rights. Give us a call today.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C., and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is a National Interest Waiver?
  •  What Is the Visa Bulletin?
  •  Who Is Eligible for an F2 Visa?
  •  What Is an Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing?