What to Know About Work Authorization Permits in the U.S.

To learn more about work authorization permits, it is in your best interest to reach out to one of our experienced and dedicated work authorization permit lawyers in Milwaukee, WI. Our legal team is committed to walking you through each step of this process.

What are work authorization permits?

A “work permit,” which is also known as an employment authorization is a document issued by The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) that provides the holder a legal right to work in the U.S. It is important to recognize that a work permit is not the same thing as a green card. Certain non-residents who are temporarily in the United States may file a Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, to request employment authorization. Employment authorization is given for a certain period of time. Foreign nationals with employment authorization can legally work in the United States for any employer. Through another program, aliens who are sponsored by specific United States employers and issued temporary work visas are allowed to work for that sponsoring employer.

You should expect a long period of time to go by before you receive an answer to an I-765 petition, which is why an interim authorization may be given. An interim authorization can be issued to an eligible applicant when USCIS has not adjudicated an application within 90 days of receipt of a properly filed application or within 30 days of receipt of a properly filed asylum-related application. You will want to recognize that an interim authorization will only be granted for 240 days.

To learn more, reach out to a skilled Wisconsin immigration attorney today.

How do I apply for an employment visa?

For those who would like to become immigrants based on employment or a job offer, they can apply for permanent residence or an immigrant visa when they are outside of the country. Entry in this category is limited therefore there may be long waits. The U.S. Department of State is the agency that allocates and grants visa numbers. Employment-based visas are limited to 140,000 per year. Furthermore, there are limits to the percentage of visas that can be assigned to each country. Currently, about 234,000 people have applied for employment-based adjustment of status green cards in the United States and are waiting for approval. If you are interested in obtaining a visa in a competitive category such as employment, it is especially useful to have the guidance and aid of an experienced work authorization permit lawyer in Milwaukee, WI.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C., and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Do I Apply for an EB-1 Visa?
  •  What Happens During the Fiancé Visa Interview?
  •  What Happens if My Visa Is Denied?
  •  What Are Tips For Avoiding Deportation?