What Should I do if I Lose my Green Card?

Obtaining a Green Card is every immigrant’s goal, as it provides them with the security they need to take a deep breath and enjoy their time in the U.S. However, if you lose your Green Card, you must not panic. Read on to learn more about what you can do for a replacement Green Card.

Where do you file a Form I-90 application?

The first step in receiving a replacement Green Card is applying for one. Fortunately, the application process is rather simple, and you may either fill our a Form I-90 application online or by mail. The form must be 100% completed upon submission, including your family name, mailing address, signature, date of birth, and more.

If you do not have an online account, you may submit a paper application in the mail. Upon receiving your application, USCIS will create an online account for you and send you an Account Acceptance Notice containing instructions on how to access your USCIS online account. Now that you have an online account, you can pay your filing fee, check your application’s status, receive updates, and manage your contact information all in one place.

How much does a replacement Green Card cost?

Green Card replacements typically cost $455 and sometimes come with an $85 biometric services fee. However, it is worth noting that if you are requesting a replacement Green Card because your current Green Card has incorrect data due to a DHS error, you will not be required to pay a filing fee.

Those who filed their Form I-90 by mail may pay their fee via money order, personal check, cashier’s check, or by credit card using the Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions. If you are paying by check, you will make your check payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

How do I replace a lost Green Card?

To replace a lost, stolen, or destroyed Green Card, you must provide USCIS with a copy of your Permanent Resident Card or another government-issued form of identification that contains your name, photograph, date of birth, and signature. If your Green Card has been issued but not received, you must submit a government-issued form of ID that includes your name, date of birth, photograph, and signature, as well as a copy of either your latest Form I-797, Notice of Action, or a copy of the I-551 stamp in your passport.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Who Is Eligible for an F-3 Visa?
  •  What is an R-1 Visa?
  •  How Can I Become a Naturalized Citizen?
  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?