How Can I Become a U.S. Citizen?

If you have been a Green Card holder for at least 5 years, you are most likely ready to apply for naturalization. This can be a very exciting time in your life, as you are finally approaching the final step. However, there are various eligibility requirements you must meet before you apply. If you believe you are ready to apply to become a naturalized citizen, here are some of the questions you may have regarding your legal options going forward:

How do I know if I am eligible for citizenship?

Green Card holders of 5 years or more must meet the following standards to be eligible to apply for naturalization:

  • Green Card holders must be at least 18 years old when filing
  • You must have lived within the state or USCIS district with jurisdiction over your place of residence for at least three months before filing the application.
  • If you are a student, you may apply where you go to school or where your family lives
  • You must have been physically present in the U.S. for 30 months or more out of the five years before the date of applying
  • You must be able to read, write, and speak English, as well as have a firm command and understanding of U.S. government and history.
  • Applicants must reside continuously within the U.S. for the date of applying for naturalization until the date of naturalization
  • You must be of good moral character, in accordance with the principles of the U.S. Constitution, and ready to contribute to the “good order and happiness of the United States.”
  • You must be a Green Card holder for 5+ years immediately preceding the date of your filing the Form N-400, Application for Naturalization

What are other paths to U.S. citizenship?

Fortunately, if you are not yet a Green Card holder of 5 years or more, there are other means for you to become a citizen. For example, you may become a citizen by living in the U.S. for three years and marrying another U.S. citizen, living in the U.S. for 4 years under asylum, or are a permanent resident, have served in the U.S. military, and have lived in the U.S. for three years. If you are ready to begin the naturalization process, do not wait any longer. Reach out to our compassionate, knowledgeable firm.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is a National Interest Waiver?
  •  What Is the Visa Bulletin?
  •  Who Is Eligible for an F2 Visa?
  •  What Is an Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing?