What is a U Visa and Can I Receive One?

If you’re looking to become a lawful permanent resident, you may do so by obtaining a U Visa under certain select circusmtances. Please continue reading and reach out to a competent U Visa attorney in Milwaukee, Wisconsin to learn more about these visas, whether you will qualify for one, and how we can help you receive one. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How do I get a U visa?

When immigrants or their families are made victims of crimes, such as mental or physical abuse, they can assist law enforcement or other government entities in arresting and prosecuting the case against the individual who committed the crime. In some cases, when an immigrant who’s been made a victim of a crime can obtain a U visa and become a lawful permanent resident as long as they’ve had a perpetual physical presence in the U.S. and have aided law enforcement in an investigation.

Who qualifies for a U Visa?

For someone to receive this visa, they will have to meet various qualifications. To start, they must be a victim of a qualifying crime. Crimes that may qualify include rape, prostitution, human trafficking, domestic violence, murder, kidnapping, female genital mutilation, manslaughter, and sexual assault. The individual (or their family member) must have suffered substantial abuse and be willing to provide information regarding the crime committed against them to law enforcement. The applicant must also be admissible to the United States under current law and the criminal activity must have occurred in the United States or violated United States law. If you meet all of these criteria, you should qualify to receive a U Visa.

Once you receive your visa, it should be valid for four years, allowing you to remain in the U.S. for four years. That said, in certain cases, an individual may extend this visa. For example, if law enforcement requests an extension because the case has not yet concluded, they should receive an extension. Additionally, if the visa is needed due to delays in consular processing or exceptional circumstances, it may be extended. Finally, the visa may be automatically extended upon the filing of an application for adjustment of status. If you have any additional questions or you believe you may qualify, please don’t hesitate to speak with our competent Wisconsin immigration attorneys today. We’re here to help you, every step of the way.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C., and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?
  •  What Should I Know About the New Action to Secure the Border?
  •  What is an EB-3 Visa?
  •  How Can I Prepare for My Green Card Interview?