How Do I Renew a Green Card? Here’s What to Know.

There are few things more important to many immigrants than getting their green card. That said, green cards are only valid for a certain period of time, but they may be renewed. To learn more about how to renew your green card, please continue reading and speak with a knowledgeable Green Card lawyer in Milwaukee, WI to learn more about renewing your green card and how our legal team can help. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How can I renew my green card?

The first thing you’ll have to do is complete a Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. You can do this either online or through a paper application. If you own an earlier version of the alien registration card, you’ll have to replace it with your current green card.

Do I have to be in the U.S. to renew a green card?

You don’t. If you didn’t apply for a green card before leaving the United States, you can contact a U.S. Consulate office of a U.S. port of entry. You can then file Form I-90 for renewal. That said, if your green card will expire in six months and you plan on leaving the United States for more than six months but less than one year, you can file for the renewal card when you return.

What happens if I’m not allowed to renew my green card?

If your application to renew your green card has been denied, you’re most likely very worried about your future here in the United States. Though you cannot appeal a rejected renewal application, you can still file a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsider with the office that rejected your green card renewal.

That said, you should never do so without competent legal counsel in your corner. Our legal team has helped guide countless individuals through the green card process over the years, including even after their requests for renewal have been rejected, and we are prepared to help you as well. No matter the issue concerning your green card, the most important thing you can do is speak with a legal team who truly cares about your future. Give Sesini Law Group, S.C. a call today to learn more about how we can assist you.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C., and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?
  •  What Should I Know About the New Action to Secure the Border?
  •  What is an EB-3 Visa?
  •  How Can I Prepare for My Green Card Interview?