Do I have to notify USCIS if I move?

If you are in the United States as a permanent resident or on a temporary visa, you will need to provide the USCIS with the address at which you live. If you move at some point during your time in the United States, you will have to notify the USCIS of your change of address within 10 days of moving. You will have to submit a form regarding your new address unless you are a diplomat with visa status A, a government representative for an international organization or if you don’t have a visa because you are only in the U.S. for less than 30 days.

It is important to note that you can either fill out paper form AR-11 to inform the USCIS about your change in address or you can use the Online Change of Address System, which allows you to fill out Form AR-11 electronically. If you use the paper version of this form, you will have to mail it into the USCIS. Make sure you get a receipt stating that you have mailed the document because it can make a big difference if any questions come up.

If you fail to notify the USCIS within 10 days either online or via mail, you may be facing a misdemeanor crime. It is very important that you remember to notify the USCIS if you move and make sure not to risk being convicted of a crime. If you have questions about immigration related matters, contact our firm today.

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. If you have any questions regarding these matters, please contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and obtain your initial consultation.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is a National Interest Waiver?
  •  What Is the Visa Bulletin?
  •  Who Is Eligible for an F2 Visa?
  •  What Is an Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing?