How do I Become a United States Citizen? What You Should Know About Naturalization.

Those who live in the United States as immigrants have one primary concern: becoming United States citizens. Becoming a citizen gives those individuals a sense of security, belonging, and safety. If you are an immigrant who has held a green card for at least 5 years, there is a very good chance that you can apply for naturalization, which is essentially the final step in the naturalization process. Our firm is here to help. Please continue reading and speak with our knowledgeable Wisconsin immigration attorneys to learn more about the naturalization process and how we can guide you through it. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Do I qualify for naturalization?

If you have held a green card for at least 5 years, you will have to meet the following criteria to become a naturalized U.S. citizen:

  • You must be at least 18 years old
  • You must have lived in your state or USCIS district with jurisdiction over your place of residence for at least three months before filing the application for naturalization.
  • Students must apply where they attend university or where their family lives.
  • You will have to be physically present in the U.S. for at least 30 months of the five years before the date of application
  • You will have to prove that you can read, write, and speak English. You must also demonstrate a knowledge of U.S. civics and history.
  • You must stay in the U.S. between the date you apply for naturalization until the date of naturalization
  • You must be of good moral character
  • You must be a Green Card holder for 5+ years immediately before the date of your filing the Form N-400, Application for Naturalization

Are there other ways to become a naturalized citizen?

Yes, there are. Even if you have not held a green card for 5 or more years, you can still become a naturalized citizen under additional circumstances. For example, if you have lived in the United States for 4 years under asylum, you may apply for naturalization. Additionally, if you have served in the U.S. military and lived in the U.S. for three years, you may also apply for naturalization. You may also become a citizen if you have lived in the United States for three years and you marry another United States citizen. That being said, there are always exceptions, so no matter your circumstances, if you believe you may qualify for naturalization, our firm is here to help.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?
  •  What Should I Know About the New Action to Secure the Border?
  •  What is an EB-3 Visa?
  •  How Can I Prepare for My Green Card Interview?