Leaving the United States With a Green Card | What You Need to Know

Green cards provide immigrants from around the world with the security they need to go on living here in the United States with peace of mind. That being said, if you have a green card and you are looking to leave the United States for any reason, whether it be business, vacation, or visiting family, you should continue reading and speak with our experienced Wisconsin immigration attorneys to learn more about how you can do so safely and in accordance with the law. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What documents do I need to leave the United States with a Green Card?

Permanent residents who are looking to leave the U.S. with their green cards must take various documents along, including a passport from your country of citizenship, or, if applicable, a refugee travel document that permits you to leave the country. Furthermore, in other cases, you may have to obtain a specific visa that permits you to leave the United States.

What documents will I need to reenter the United States with a green card?

Upon returning to the U.S., you must present an officer with U.S. Customs and Border Protection your green card, and from here, after the officer reviews your green card, passport, and driver’s license, you will most likely be allowed back into the United States.

How long can I leave the United States if I have a green card?

If you are someone with a green card, there is a very good chance that you will be allowed to leave the United States for an extended period of time, however, you may not do so without first applying for a re-entry permit with the Form I-131. If the form is approved, you can leave the United States and return without a problem until your permit expires. That being said, if you are someone who is not yet a naturalized citizen here in the United States, there is a very good chance that if you leave for more than 6 months, you will most likely disturb the continuous residency needed to be a naturalized citizen, which can prevent you from becoming naturalized. To avoid this, you can file an Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes in Form N-470. If you have any additional questions or require help filling out these forms, simply contact our knowledgeable Wisconsin immigration attorneys today.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Who Is Eligible for an F-3 Visa?
  •  What is an R-1 Visa?
  •  How Can I Become a Naturalized Citizen?
  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?