What You Need to Know About Fiancé Visas in the U.S.

Fiancé visas, formally called K-1 visas, allow future spouses of United States citizens to become United States citizens themselves. That being said, receiving such a visa is sometimes challenging, and the requirements demand far more than simply marrying someone; your specific situation will have to qualify. Our Wisconsin immigration attorneys are here to help. Please read on and speak with our knowledgeable Wisconsin immigration attorneys to learn more about these visas and how our firm can help you receive one. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Do I qualify for a fiancé visa?

To qualify for a K-1 visa, you must prove that you have known your future spouse for at least two years. As long as you can prove as much, you will have to request a K-1 visa on your I-129F form. You should not do this without the assistance of a knowledgeable attorney who has helped countless individuals obtain these visas in the past. As you can imagine, various documents go into obtaining fiancé visas, which is why you need an attorney to ensure everything checks out before proceeding.

How do I receive a K-1 visa in the United States?

The process of receiving a K-1 visa is somewhat involved. First, you will have to receive a medical exam and an interview in your native country. The consular must determine that you each know each other very well and that you are truly in love and are looking to get married for the right reasons, as there have been incidents of fraud in the past. The consular will also look to ensure that you are someone of “good moral character,” which is one of the standards individuals must meet to become United States citizens. If it is determined that you may become a “public charge,” such as requiring certain government benefits, you may also be denied your visa.

What will I be asked in my fiancé visa interview?

Some of the questions you may be asked are as follows:

  • Do you have any relatives living in the United States?
  • Do you have children?
  • Have you ever been married in the past?
  • What is your native country?
  • What is your nationality?
  • How old are you?
  • Have you ever been to the United States before?

Remember, our firm is always here to help you through every step of the process ahead.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C., and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is a National Interest Waiver?
  •  What Is the Visa Bulletin?
  •  Who Is Eligible for an F2 Visa?
  •  What Is an Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing?