How Can I Help My Relative Get United States Citizenship?

As a United States citizen with foreign-born relatives, you’re most likely looking to help them gain citizenship here in the U.S. as well. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced family immigration lawyer in Milwaukee, WI to learn more about how we can help your relative get U.S. citizenship. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Does a Form I-130 help a relative get citizenship?

Yes, it can. Form I-130, known as the Petition for Alien Relative, is the first thing you’ll need to complete to have your relative gain United States citizenship.

Where do I file this form?

If you’re living in the United States and are a citizen, you will file this form either at the Chicago, Dallas, or Phoenix lockbox. However, if you’re a United States citizen, are residing somewhere outside of the United States, and are looking to file for either your unmarried child under the age of 21 or your parents, you’ll have to file at the USCIS international office in your current country.

If there is no location for a USCIS international lockbox, you will file at the Dallas lockbox. In this form, you’ll have to detail exactly how you’re related to the person you’re filing for, as well as various other additional personal info, including:

  • Your mailing address
  • Your marital status
  • Evidence of your citizenship here in the United States
  • A copy of your birth certificate
  • Your relative’s full name
  • Your relative’s date of birth
  • Your relative’s physical address
  • Your relative’s marital information

Our firm can help ensure you include all of the necessary information in your Form I-130.

Do I have to pay to file Form I-130?

You will have to pay to file the Form. Currently, it will cost you $535 to file this form. You will have to pay the fee either through money order, personal check, cashier’s check, or by credit card via Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions. Our legal team has extensive experience helping individuals through this process, and we are here to put that experience to work for you. If you have any additional questions about how the process works or how you can lawfully get your relatives into the United States, please don’t hesitate to pick up the phone and give us a call.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C., and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is a National Interest Waiver?
  •  What Is the Visa Bulletin?
  •  Who Is Eligible for an F2 Visa?
  •  What Is an Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing?