Getting a Fiancé Visa in Wisconsin | What You Should Know

If you are a foreign national engaged to an American citizen, please read on, then contact an experienced fiancé visa lawyer in Milwaukee, Wisconsin to learn what you should know about getting a fiancé visa in Wisconsin.

What is a fiancé visa in Wisconsin?

The fiancé(e) K-1 nonimmigrant visa is for the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) of a United States (U.S.) citizen. The K-1 visa permits the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) to travel to the United States and marry his or her U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of arrival. If you do not marry within those 90 days, you will need to leave the United States within 30 days.

How do you qualify for a fiancé visa in Wisconsin?

The qualifications for a fiancé visa are as follows:

  • Both you and your fiancé must be single and eligible to be married under U.S. law. (This means that same-sex couples are eligible for the K-1 fiancé visa, whether or not the foreign spouse’s home country recognizes same-sex marriages.)
  • If you or your fiancé have been married previously, you’ll need to provide divorce or death certificates for any previous spouse.
  • The sponsoring partner must be a U.S. citizen. U.S. green card holders are not eligible to apply for fiancé visas.
  • You and your fiancé must prove that your relationship is authentic—through photos, correspondence, and written statements from people who know you as a couple.
  • Have concrete wedding plans in the United States and show invitations, venue reservations, or other proof that the wedding is not a vague dream but a specific, planned event.
  • Alternatively, you can provide a simple signed statement of your intent to marry within 90 days of arrival.
  • You must have met in person at least once in the past two years. This requirement can be waived for religious practices or in cases of extreme hardship to the U.S. citizen partner.
  • The U.S. citizen partner must meet certain income requirements, earning at least 100% of the federal poverty guidelines when applying for the fiancé visa, and earning 125% of these guidelines when the foreign partner applies for his or her green card.

How can a Milwaukee, WI family attorney help you?

A skilled family immigration lawyer in Milwaukee, WI can help you with the process, which involves filling out and filing forms with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. When your spouse receives a green card, it will be considered conditional. That means your spouse must meet certain requirements to keep his or her lawful permanent resident status. These cases can languish; do not let yours be one of them. Give us a call today.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C., and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is a National Interest Waiver?
  •  What Is the Visa Bulletin?
  •  Who Is Eligible for an F2 Visa?
  •  What Is an Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing?