Can You Leave The United States if You Have a Green Card?

If you are planning a trip abroad, please read on, then contact an experienced green card lawyer in Milwaukee, WI to learn if you can leave the United States if you have a green card.

What documents do you need to leave and reenter the United States with a green card?

As a green card holder, you will need to present the following documents in order to leave the U.S.:

  • A passport from your country of citizenship
  • Your refugee travel document

Keep in mind, the foreign country you plan to travel to may have its own entry and exit requirements, such as visas.

In order for a green card holder to reenter the United States, you will need the following documents:

  • A valid, unexpired green card (Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card)
  • A passport
  • A foreign national identification card or a United States driver’s license
  • And any other identity documents

Does leaving the United States affect your green card status?

Green card holders have the freedom to travel outside the United States. Furthermore, temporary or brief travel generally does not affect your permanent resident status. However, if the appropriate bodies determine that you did not intend to make the United States your permanent home, they may find that you have abandoned your permanent resident status. If you travel outside the U.S. for a year or more, failed to maintain U.S. family and community ties, did not file U.S. income taxes as a resident or otherwise established your intention to return to the U.S. as your permanent home, immigration officials may accuse you of abandoning your green card.

How can a Wisconsin immigration attorney help you?

By reaching out to one of our skilled Wisconsin immigration attorneys to discuss your next steps, you may have a better understanding of your rights and responsibilities in regards to your leaving the United States. Should you be accused of abandoning your green card, a qualified legal professional can help collect, compile and present the evidence needed to prove your intention to remain a permanent resident in the United States. For instance, our firm might argue that you still maintain a U.S. mailing address, keep a U.S. bank account or valid driver’s license, own property or run a business in the United States. This process is long and cumbersome, and you have already got enough on your mind. Let our firm help you. Give us a call today.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why if you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C., and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Do I Apply for an EB-1 Visa?
  •  What Happens During the Fiancé Visa Interview?
  •  What Happens if My Visa Is Denied?
  •  What Are Tips For Avoiding Deportation?