Can informants receive a green card?

Law enforcement agencies rely on other people to assist them in obtaining information that is used to solve crimes and prevent new crimes from happening. Witnesses and informants who help law enforcement agencies and are not United States citizens may be eligible to obtain an S Nonimmigrant visa, or a Green Card for an Informant to become a permanent resident.

In order for a person to become eligible for this type of green card, a federal or state aw enforcement agency must indicate that you are, in fact, an informant or a witness and request that they are granted S nonimmigrant status. The agency petitioning on your behalf will have to file a Form I-854, which is known as the Interagency Alien Witness and Informant Record. This form will provide the USCIS with evidence that this person has been a valuable informant and that all possible inadmissible grounds have been detailed.

After Form I-854 has bene approved, the person trying to obtain S-nonimmigrant status will have to also file a Form I-485, which is simply an Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. This form also requires a significant amount of supporting evidence in order to be accepted. Some of these pieces of evidence include Form G-325A, a copy of your birth certificate, Form I-94, Form I-693, proof that you are employed, passport, and more.

It is important to have the correct documentation when applying for a visa, otherwise it may be denied and it may delay the process for a significant period of time. If you have any questions about which type of visa may be best suited to your needs, consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can provide you with assistance.

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. If you have any questions regarding these matters, please contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and obtain your initial consultation.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is a National Interest Waiver?
  •  What Is the Visa Bulletin?
  •  Who Is Eligible for an F2 Visa?
  •  What Is an Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing?