Can I Obtain a Visa for Medical Treatment in the U.S.?

The United States is known for having a healthcare system with quality, efficiency, and the overall ability to give patients a long, healthy life afterward. This is not to mention its easy access to modern medicine. Luckily, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has a visa type available so that foreigners may also benefit from this healthcare system. Continue reading to learn how to obtain a short-term visa for medical treatment in the United States and how an experienced family immigration lawyer in Milwaukee, WI, at Sesini Law Group, S.C., can help you make this possible.

What medical visa is offered by the USCIS?

The USCIS does not specifically offer a visa for medical purposes. However, if you wish to visit the country for treatment by a United States physician, you may apply for a B-2 visa, otherwise known as a visitor visa for tourism.

You may not initially think that you qualify for a B-2 visa, as you may not think your medical needs make you a “tourist for pleasure,” so to speak. But you must understand that a B visa is a type of non-immigrant visa that is issued to foreign nationals seeking entry for a temporary period, regardless of their specific reasonings.

How can I obtain a short-term visa for medical treatment in the United States?

Now that you know which short-term visa may grant you access to medical treatment in the United States, you must be made aware of how to apply for it. This application is namely Form DS-160, Nonimmigrant Visa Application. It may require you to prove the following as true:

  • You may have to prove that you are seeking necessary medical treatment that is unavailable in your home country.
  • You may have to prove that you have adequate financial resources to pay for the necessary medical treatment you seek.
  • You may have to prove your willingness to be examined by a physician at the United States Embassy or Consulate.

It is important to note that, if you are pregnant, you may have to make additional efforts to prove that your intention is not to give birth in the United States. This is so even if your reason for seeking medical treatment is tied to your pregnancy.

Further, two pivotal pieces of proof that must supplement every Form DS-160 are letters from a local treating physician and a United States healthcare professional. Firstly, your local treating physician should describe the nature of your illness or ailment and overall why they recommend that you seek United States medical care. Then, a United States healthcare professional should describe their willingness to accept you as a patient; based on your local treating physician’s diagnosis, recommendation, etc.

This is all to say that, before moving forward with your visa application, you must consult a skilled Milwaukee, WI family immigration lawyer. So please reach out to Sesini Law Group, S.C. today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?
  •  What Should I Know About the New Action to Secure the Border?
  •  What is an EB-3 Visa?
  •  How Can I Prepare for My Green Card Interview?