Who is Exempt From Taking the U.S. Citizenship Test?

Immigrants come from all over the world to live and work in the United States. The road to citizenship is often a long one, and it requires a significant amount of dedication, hard work, and the help of an experienced U.S. immigration attorney. When people qualify for citizenship, however, they sometimes find that they require certain exemptions or accommodations in order to proceed.

If you are someone who requires an exemption, you must read on to learn more about what both USCIS and our firm can do for you. We understand the impact this process will have on your life, which is why we do everything in our power to help our clients achieve the outcome they desire: citizenship. If you find yourself in this situation, here are some of the questions you may have regarding the legal process going forward:

Are you allowed to take the U.S. citizenship test in another language?

Although not everyone is allowed, under certain circumstances, some people are allowed to take the citizenship test in their native language. To qualify, you have to be 50 years or older at the time of filing and have lived as a permanent resident in the United States for 20 years. This is known as the 50/20 exemption. However, it is worth noting that under these circumstances, you are still required to take the civics test.

You may also qualify for an exemption from the English language requirement if you are 55 years or older and have lived as a permanent resident in the United States for 15 years. This is known as the 55/15 exemption.

Does the citizenship test have medical disability exemptions or accommodations?

Those with disabilities who are eligible for naturalization may be exempt from both the English and civics requirements entirely. To bypass these requirements, however, you must first submit Form N-658, Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions, which can only be completed by a licensed medical doctor, osteopathic doctor, or a clinical psychologist.

If you believe you are ready to proceed as a United States citizen, reach out to our knowledgeable, seasoned, and compassionate legal team. We are here to help you, every step of the way.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Do I Apply for an EB-1 Visa?
  •  What Happens During the Fiancé Visa Interview?
  •  What Happens if My Visa Is Denied?
  •  What Are Tips For Avoiding Deportation?