What is an EAD?

Employment Authorization Documents, or EADs, grant immigrants legal access to employment in the country. Rather simply, to work for certain employers, immigrants will have to prove that they are, in fact, allowed to work in the United States for a certain period of time. While these documents are a huge help to those who can get them, they are not always easy to obtain. If you need help obtaining an EAD in the United States, please read on and speak with our compassionate immigration firm to learn more about your legal options going forward.

How do I get an EAD?

If you are either authorized to work in the United States because of your immigration status as an asylee, refugee or U nonimmigrant, for example, you will need evidence of employment authorization. Additionally, if you are someone who is required to apply for permission to work in the U.S., such as those with pending Form I-485s, Form I-589s, or those who need permission from USCIS, to work in the U.S., you will need an EAD. Those who require EADs must file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.

How can I renew my EAD?

Renewing an EAD is a fairly straightforward process, but at times, it can become complicated. Essentially, if you are eligible for employment authorization but your EAD is either expiring or has expired, you must file for renewal by filling out and submitting a new Form I-765, along with a potential filing fee.

What should I do if I lose my EAD?

If your EAD is either lost, stolen or destroyed, you may simply file a new Form I-765 with a filing fee, if applicable. However, if you request a fee waiver, you may not have to pay the fee if approved. Additionally, if you realize your EAD has false or incorrect information due to an error on USCIS’s part, you may submit the card with false information, a clear explanation of what was incorrect, and supporting documentation regarding the correct information with no additional filing fee. Our firm will be happy to assist you through the process of obtaining an EAD.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is a National Interest Waiver?
  •  What Is the Visa Bulletin?
  •  Who Is Eligible for an F2 Visa?
  •  What Is an Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing?