What Should I Know About Pending Green Cards in Wisconsin?

Getting a green card is a huge step for immigrants looking to reside here in the United States. That said, there’s a lot you need to know about green cards, the freedom they afford, and what your limits are if your green card is currently pending. Read on and reach out to our experienced green card lawyer in Milwaukee, WI to learn more about pending green card applications and what you can and cannot do while your card is pending. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Can I move if my green card is currently pending?

Yes, you are allowed to move if your green card is currently pending, however, you are required to update your address within 10 days of your move. Failing to do so can have significant repercussions, as you may miss certain critical updates about your case. That said, you can very easily update your address through your USCIS account online or file Form AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card on the USCIS Change of Address online page.

Can I leave the US if my Form I-485 is still pending?

You are allowed to leave the country for a certain period of time, especially for emergencies, however, if you’re looking to leave the United States for any period of time, you absolutely must file Form I-313, Application for Travel Document before you do. If you leave without filing this form, you will most likely lose your opportunity to obtain a green card. If you have any other questions about this or you would like one of our attorneys to help you draft this document, give us a call.

How long can I expect my green card to take to process?

Once you submit Form -485, you can expect your case to be processed anywhere between a little over six months to 20.5 months. We understand that this is an exciting time, but it’s best to remain patient while you await approval. You should also note that you can check the status of your pending application either by visiting the USCIS Case Status webpage or by calling 800-375-5283. If you have any other questions about the green card process, feel free to reach out to the Sesini Law Group, S.C. today. We are here to help you in any way we can.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C., and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Who Is Eligible for an F-3 Visa?
  •  What is an R-1 Visa?
  •  How Can I Become a Naturalized Citizen?
  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?