What schools can I attend with a student visa?

If you wish to go to school in the United States, you may be able to do this with the proper documentation. In order to do this, you will have to acquire a student visa to be allowed entry into the country. With this visa, you may only be able to attend certain schools that have been approved. By filling out an I-20 form, you will choose either the M student visa or the F student visa. The M visa is for those wishing to attend a vocational or other non-academic institution. The F visa is for individuals looking to attend a university, college, high school, seminary, conservatory or private elementary school. With one of these student visas, individuals will be able to enter the country and receive the education they hoped for. This can benefit the future of the individual and expose them to a new culture with various opportunities.

There are a few requirements that are needed to show that an aspiring student is eligible for a student visa. Before choosing whether the M or F visa is appropriate, you must be accepted by a Student and Exchange Visitor program approved school. Then you will apply for the appropriate visa based upon your school preference. When trying to obtain a student visa, there are specific places to go through the process. Visas can be requested through an embassy, consulate or even online. Once the application is completed, an interview will be scheduled to review more in-depth information regarding your student visa approval.

How do I prepare for the interview portion of the process?

Before attending the interview, it is vital to gather documents that must be presented at the meeting. These documents can include a passport that will be eligible for six months beyond the stay period, an application fee receipt, the I-20 form and a certificate of eligibility for an F-1 or M-1 visa. A photo of yourself may also be required to prove your identity. A nonimmigrant visa application can also be asked to be under review. Some interviewers may wish to see documentation of your school history. This can include transcripts, diplomas, degrees or any certificates you may have received. Some interviews may not be necessary based on the individual applying for the student visa. If the interviewee is under 13 years old or over 80 years old, they may be excused from having to attend an interview session. However, this decision is based upon the consular officer’s final call.

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. If you have any questions regarding immigration law matters, please contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Who Is Eligible for an F-3 Visa?
  •  What is an R-1 Visa?
  •  How Can I Become a Naturalized Citizen?
  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?