How does deportation occur?

People living in the United States need to have some kind of status to be approved to live in the country. If they are a citizen of the U.S., they are able to stay in the country without limitations. However, those who have visas to be approved to live in the country may have limitations on these visas. A visa can expire in a certain amount of time. If someone’s visa expires, they may face removal proceedings. This can cause them to be deported from the country, back to their home country. Students with a student visa that are no longer pursuing an education will have to adjust their status. If you are working in the U.S. with an investor visa or another type of employment visa, you have to maintain that role with that employer. If you lose your job, you will either have to get a new one or apply for an adjustment of status. There are many requirements for each visa and they can differ depending on the visa. If you do not follow the limits for your particular visa, you may face deportation.

Can crimes affect my status?

A criminal charge can affect an individual’s residency in the United States if they are not a citizen of the country. If a non-citizen is arrested, they can face the possibility of deportation. When individuals are deported, they are removed the country and sent back to their home country. For imprisoned immigrants, their imprisonment may caused them to be detained by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement office. When the individual is bailed out of jail, they can then be sent to ICE detention while authorities consider if they should be removed from the country or allowed to stay. During these times, it is important to have an immigration attorney to work on your behalf. This can help provide you with the best opportunity to stay in the U.S. and avoid any removal proceedings. If you are trying to enter the United States, but have criminal charges against you, this can lead to a delay or a possible prevention in your visa process. However, with an inadmissibility waiver, it can grant you entry into the country despite the presence of inadmissible circumstances.

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. If you have any questions regarding immigration law matters, please contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Do I Apply for an EB-1 Visa?
  •  What Happens During the Fiancé Visa Interview?
  •  What Happens if My Visa Is Denied?
  •  What Are Tips For Avoiding Deportation?