If you currently reside in a foreign country but are now engaged to a United States citizen, your fiancé may serve as your sponsor throughout the K-1 visa process. Otherwise known as the fiancé visa, follow along to find out what the K-1 visa process entails and how a proficient fiancé visa lawyer in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, at Sesini Law Group, S.C., can lead you through every step of the way.
What does the K-1 visa process entail?
Like every other visa application, the K-1 visa process entails many steps. Below is a general sequence of steps you may have to follow:
- Your fiancé must petition on your behalf by filing Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé, with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
- If approved, the USCIS will send the petition to the National Visa Center (NVC).
- Then, the NVC will give you a case number and send your petition to the United States Embassy or Consulate where you currently reside.
- From here, you must collect and prepare the required documentation for your K-1 visa interview.
- In the meantime, you must schedule and complete a medical examination and fulfill vaccination requirements.
- Lastly, you must schedule and attend your K-1 visa interview with a USCIS officer.
What questions can I expect to be asked at the fiancé visa interview?
First of all, you may assume that it is best to attend your visa interview alongside your fiancé, to prove that you are a united front and have a very real relationship. However, your fiancé is prohibited from attending this interview. This is because their presence may affect how you answer the interview questions, and they may even be tempted to answer on your behalf.
Rest assured, there are ways in which you may properly prepare to enter this interview on your own. One way is by practicing your answers to interview questions that might be posed to you by a USCIS officer. Below is a list of questions that are commonly asked in this interview:
- Questions about yourself:
- What is your nationality and what languages do you speak?
- Have you ever been to the United States? If so, when?
- Do you have family in the United States? If so, who?
- Have you ever applied for a K-1 visa in the past? If so, when?
- Questions about your fiancé:
- Where does your fiancé currently live?
- What does your fiancé do for work?
- Has your fiancé ever been married before? If so, with whom?
- Does your fiancé have any children? If so, what are their names?
- Questions about your and your fiancé’s relationship:
- Where did you and your fiancé meet?
- How long have you and your fiancé been together?
- Where did you and your fiancé get engaged?
- Where and when do you and your fiancé plan to get married?
You must not question your instinct to retain the services of a talented family immigration lawyer in Milwaukee, WI. Our team at Sesini Law Group, S.C. will work to determine which legal option best suits you.