What is PERM labor certification in Wisconsin?

If you are a U.S. employer in need of workers or are an immigrant looking for U.S. employment, continue reading to learn about the PERM labor certification process. Then, call our work authorization permit lawyer in Milwaukee, WI for more information.

What is the PERM labor certification process?

  • Step one: Prevailing wage determination request – When beginning the PERM process, an employer must first make a prevailing wage request. This provides the Department of Labor (DOL) with information, like job requirements for instance. The DOL will then issue a prevailing wage determination (PWD) that states the wage for the job and the specific work location.
  • Step two: Placing ads and recruiting – The goal of the PERM process is to show the DOL that there aren’t U.S. workers willing to work in this job position, which is why you as the employer need the help of immigrants. Therefore, the second step in the process is very important because it’s when the employer begins recruiting employees. The PERM process involves a series of advertisements, including an advertisement with the state workforce agency, newspaper advertisements, and more. It’s recommended that these advertisements are made within a similar timespan because there’s a 180-day time limit on these advertisements. If any of the advertisements exceed 180 days, then the ad cannot be used for the PERM process.
  • Filing ETA form 9089 – The last step in the process involves submitting the PERM application via ETA form 9089. The employer must wait for 30 days after the expiration date of the last advertisement. The employer will then have to wait several months for the DOL to either approve, deny, or audit the request.

How can I become a permanent worker in Wisconsin?

There are hundreds of thousands of immigrants who come to the United States each year in pursuit of better work opportunities. There are a few common visa types that allow immigrants to pursue these opportunities, including:

  • EB – 1 visa – These are for immigrants with outstanding skills in the arts, sciences, athletics, business, or education. If they can prove this, then they will receive priority amongst the immigrants coming into the U.S.
  • EB – 2 visa – These visas are for those who have advanced degrees in business, the arts, and sciences.
  • EB – 3 visa – These are for “skilled workers” with a higher education degree who have at least 2 years of training or experience in their field.

We understand that this is a complicated process, but our team is here to help. Call our family immigration lawyer in Milwaukee, WI today.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C., to schedule your initial consultation.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Who Is Eligible for an F-3 Visa?
  •  What is an R-1 Visa?
  •  How Can I Become a Naturalized Citizen?
  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?