What is an I-601 Waiver?

As an immigrant, there are few things worse than either being denied re-entry into the United States or being forced to leave the United States. That said, this is something that happens virtually every single day, and on a wide range of grounds. However, fortunately, some who’ve been denied entry into the U.S. can re-enter through what’s known as an I-601 waiver, formally known as a Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility. Please continue reading and speak with a seasoned I601A Waiver Lawyer in Milwaukee, WI to learn more about these waivers and how our legal team may be able to help you through the process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Am I eligible for an I-601 waiver?

When someone enters the country illegally or has overstayed their visa and wants to apply for permanent residency, they will have to do so with a consult outside of the United States. However, if you’re in the U.S. illegally but leave, you will likely be subject to a three or ten-year bar from reentering the United States. However, by applying for a 601-A waiver, you may be exempt from this bar. If you were considered inadmissible either due to a criminal conviction, illegal entry into the U.S., a security violation, or because you have a certain health condition, you may be eligible to get this bar waiver if you can prove that a spouse or parent who is legally in the United States would suffer extreme hardship if you’re not allowed to return.

What is extreme hardship?

There are various circumstances that may technically qualify as extreme hardship. Some of those circumstances are as follows:

  • They have a medical condition and require you to care for them
  • They have another sick family member and need your support to care for that family member
  • They are financially dependent on you and you cannot provide sufficient financial support from abroad
  • They are in debt financially and cannot pay off those debts without your support

If you think you may qualify for this waiver or you’d like to discuss this matter further with a lawyer, please don’t hesitate to speak with Sesini Law Group, S.C. today.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C., and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is a National Interest Waiver?
  •  What Is the Visa Bulletin?
  •  Who Is Eligible for an F2 Visa?
  •  What Is an Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing?