What is a U-Visa?

If you have been the victim of a violent crime in the United States and have suffered serious physical or mental harm as a result of that crime, you may be eligible to apply for the U Nonimmigrant Visa. In order to become eligible for this type of visa, you must be willing to provide law enforcement with information about your crime and the subsequent consequences of that crime. There are also a number of other qualifications that you must have in order to become eligible for a U Visa. Some of the crimes that are considered when you are applying for this visa may include domestic violence, torture, trafficking, female genital mutilation, hostage, and more. If you can prove that you have been the victim of one of these crimes as well as the repercussions that you have faced as a result of that crime, you may be a candidate for a U-Visa.

It is important to know that only 10,000 of these types of visas are administered each year. The crime you were the victim of must have occurred within the United States. Additionally, you must be considered a valuable asset to the investigation of the crime. By providing law enforcement with information about the crime that caused you harm, you are assisting officials in taking one more criminal off the street so you can obtain justice. The U-Visa is valid for four years but there may be the chance that you can extend your visa further when that time is up. Additionally, after three years, you can apply to become a permanent resident and obtain a Green Card.

Some of the circumstances may be different depending on what your age is. If you are under the age of 16 years old and cannot speak for yourself due to a disability, you may have a next friend represent you. Family members of these victims are also eligible to obtain a visa. You may petition for your spouse and children if you are over the age of 21. If you are under 21, you may be eligible to petition for a visa for your spouse, children and any siblings you have under the age of 18 who are not married.

If you have been the victim of a violent crime in the United States, you may want to seek support through the various resources the country has. There are a lot of different groups that assist those who have experienced trauma as a result of violent crimes that may include domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, and more.

If you believe you may be eligible for a U-Visa, you should contact an experienced immigration attorney who can help you through this trying time and help you find the justice you deserve from the heinous crimes that have been committed against you.

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. If you have any questions regarding these matters, please contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and obtain your initial consultation.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?
  •  What Should I Know About the New Action to Secure the Border?
  •  What is an EB-3 Visa?
  •  How Can I Prepare for My Green Card Interview?