Immigrant Relief During Disasters

During times of disaster such as Hurricane Matthew that is set to hit the east coast this week, many people lose their homes and everything inside. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services administered a decree that is meant to help immigrants who have been affected by unforeseen circumstances such as a natural disaster. The people who work at the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services understand that when a natural disaster occurs, those who are affected by the disaster or other unforeseen circumstance may not be able to fill out or file paperwork that is necessary to take additional steps towards obtaining a visa, a Green Card or citizenship.

Times of disaster are a financial strain on individuals, especially those who are already in a financially unstable situation. USCIS understands these difficulties that may arise and in an attempt to accommodate certain people during their time of need and may even waive certain fees that are applied to forms and other applications. Other forms of relief that they may provide include the extension of certain deadlines because of course, if you are displaced from your home, you may not be able to have all of the means to meet those deadlines. In addition, if your Green Card or other important documentation that you may need to replace because they were destroyed during the emergency situation that occurred.

The process of obtaining a Green Card and becoming a permanent resident is a complicated one and therefore, a bump in the road such as an emergency situation can make that process even worse. However, with the proper information and strong guidance from an experienced immigration attorney, that stress may be eased in some ways. If you are an immigrant and have been affected by a natural disaster, contact an immigration attorney today who can help you on your path to citizenship.

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. If you have any questions regarding these matters, please contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and obtain your initial consultation.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Who Is Eligible for an F-3 Visa?
  •  What is an R-1 Visa?
  •  How Can I Become a Naturalized Citizen?
  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?