What is a fiancé visa?

If citizens of the United States have become engaged to a non-citizen, they may want to bring their fiance into the country. Since they want to start a life together, they want to live together in a home while preparing for their future. In order to do so, they are going to want to live in the same country. The citizen may be working a job to prepare for the family’s future. There is a way for them to get the approval of their fiance’s residency in the U.S.

For your fiancé’s entry into the United States, you may apply for a K-1 visa. If this visa is granted, you will need to marry within 90 days of your fiancé’s entrance. If you do not marry within that period of time, your fiancé will need to leave the country within 30 days. Once you two are officially married, your new spouse can apply to adjust their status. They may have the opportunity to become a lawful permanent resident of the U.S.

What is needed to be approved for a K-1 visa?

To be granted a K-1 visa, there are specific requirements that each couple involved in the application process has to meet. The couple must have met one another within at least two years prior to filing for the visa. You must provide evidence that supports this claim. This evidence can consist of photographs featuring you two, copies of correspondence, evidence of financial support, phone records and more. The main goal here is to prove that you two have known each other during that period of time. This is vital information that is needed to get the petition approved.

Another step in the process requires background checks for each individual. Couples must undergo a background check that monitors their fingerprints and names. Authorities may ask for additional evidence when documenting the relationship. Other requests might include an income evaluation. Through this evaluation of income, it will ensure that the petitioner can meet the income requirements to support both parties.

What happens when my petition gets approved?

When the petition gets approved, the process is not over yet. The approval of a petition does not guarantee that a visa will be granted. Once the petition is approved, the fiancé has to go through a medical examination and an interview. An attorney can help you and your fiancé complete all the necessary paperwork and attach applicable evidence. They can even file the petition for a K-1 visa on your behalf.

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. If you have any questions regarding immigration law matters, please contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Who Is Eligible for an F-3 Visa?
  •  What is an R-1 Visa?
  •  How Can I Become a Naturalized Citizen?
  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?