What is moral turpitude?

A crime of moral turpitude can include a few offenses that could show a breach of good character. Crimes of moral turpitude may involve fraud, larceny or a crime demonstrating an intent to harm a person. These crimes can involve dishonesty and theft. Other examples could be assault with the intent to rob or kill, spousal abuse and driving while under the influence of alcohol. Individuals may be able to argue against moral turpitude, but they will need the help of an experienced lawyer.

How can these crimes affect individuals?

Crimes of moral turpitude may affect someone’s eligibility to enter the country as an immigrant. They could deter the process or may stop it completely based on the specific situation. Some individuals already living in the country with temporary residency may face deportation. For these situations, individuals should seek the help of an attorney to request a waiver for their crime of moral turpitude.

How can a waiver help me?

Waivers of inadmissibility can be requested to prevent removal from the United States. These waivers can also be requested when trying to seek approval for a green card so that you can reside in the country legally. If you have a criminal record, you could be denied a green card. With a waiver of inadmissibility, you may be able to reverse this effect and allow yourself entry into the United States.

What is a green card?

A green card is a United States Permanent Resident Card that identifies someone as a permanent resident in the U.S. although they are considered to be an alien. With this status, they are able to legally reside in the country. They will have to carry around their green card as documentation of their legal residence. These are called green cards due to their color.

Individuals have different options when applying for a green card. They may be eligible due to familial ties, refugee status or employment opportunities. If individuals from another country have a relative that is a United States citizen, they do not have to wait for a visa if it is their immediate relative. Immediate relatives consist of parents, spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21.

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. If you have any questions regarding immigration law matters, please contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Who Is Eligible for an F-3 Visa?
  •  What is an R-1 Visa?
  •  How Can I Become a Naturalized Citizen?
  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?