What Happens When My Green Card Application is Pending With USCIS?

While getting a Green Card is a source of relief for many, the wait is very often stressful. To learn more about what you can do during the pending period of your Form I-485, please read on and reach out to our experienced, compassionate immigration firm. Here are some of the questions you may have regarding the legal process going forward:

What happens if I move while my case is still pending with USCIS?

If you move while you have a case that is pending with USCIS, you will have to update your address with USCIS within 10 days of your moving. If you fail to update your address within 10 days of the move, you may not receive crucial information about your case. If you recently moved, you must update your address either through your USCIS online account, or you can file the Form AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card, via the USCIS Change of Address online page.

How long does it take USCIS to process a Form I-485 in Wisconsin?

Currently, if you submit a Form I-485 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, your case should be processed between 6.5 months to 20.5 months. If it has been more than 20.5 months since you’ve submitted your application, feel free to reach out to our firm to see how we can help.

How can I see the status of my pending case with USCIS?

To check the status of your pending application, you can either call USCIS at 800-375-5283 or visit USCIS’s Case Status online page and enter the receipt number you obtained after filing your Form I-485.

What happens if I leave the United States while my Form I-485 is pending?

If you need to leave the United States while your case is pending, you must ensure you first file the Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. Unfortunately, however, if you leave the country without filing an advance parole document while you still have a pending Form I-485, you will be abandoning your application, which can be detrimental to your receiving a Green Card. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact our experienced immigration firm. There is nothing more important to us than granting you the sense of security you need to go on living a happy, productive life here in the United States.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is a National Interest Waiver?
  •  What Is the Visa Bulletin?
  •  Who Is Eligible for an F2 Visa?
  •  What Is an Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing?