USCIS Implements New Law Regarding Citizenship for Children of Military Members

Under the new policy guidance update regarding residency requirements under section 320 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), children of military members who are born overseas or otherwise outside of the United States will automatically obtain citizenship in the United States. USCIS has recently updated its policy to comply with the requirements of the Citizenship for Children of Military Members and Civil Servants Act. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced Wisconsin immigration attorneys to learn more about this new guidance update, what it means for you, and how our firm can help. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What are the specific qualifications of the new law?

Essentially, if your child is born outside of the United States and the parent with physical or legal custody of the child is any of the following, your child should qualify for citizenship here in the United States.

  • If one parent is stationed and currently residing outside of the United States as a member of the United States military
  • If one parent is stationed and residing outside of the United States as an employee of the United States government
  • The spouse of a parent is currently residing outside the United States in a “marital union” with a member of the U.S. military or someone who works for the U.S. government who is residing outside of the U.S.

That being said, your child will have to meet all additional requirements for automatic citizenship under INA 320(a) and (b). If you have any additional questions about the new law or how it may affect you or your child, please do not hesitate to give our knowledgeable Wisconsin immigration attorneys a call today. We are always here to help you and your family.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin immigration firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Who Is Eligible for an F-3 Visa?
  •  What is an R-1 Visa?
  •  How Can I Become a Naturalized Citizen?
  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?