Travel Documents in the U.S. | What You Need to Know

If you are someone who is looking to travel to or from the United States and you are not a U.S. citizen, there is a very good chance that you will require one or more special travel documents to allow you to do so. Generally, these documents come in the form of visas, and they allow you to both travel into and leave, the United States without a problem. Please continue reading and speak with our knowledgeable Wisconsin immigration attorneys to learn more about the various travel documents available to you. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Do I need a visa to stay in the United States for a short period of time?

Yes. Some of the most common types of short-stay visas the U.S. government issues are as follows:

  • Business visa: This allows foreign nationals to engage in commerce in the U.S,
  • Working holiday visa: This allows individuals to obtain temporary work here in the U.S. while they are traveling.
  • Transit visa: If you plan on passing through the United States to reach a destination outside of the country, you will need a transit visa, which generally only allows individuals to stay up to 10 days, and sometimes as short as a few hours.
  • Private visa: If you were someone who was invited to the U.S. by a U.S. resident for a private visit, you may receive a private visa.
  • Medical visa: You may obtain one if you require medical treatment/diagnostics from a specific medical professional in the U.S.
  • Tourist visa: These visas are reserved for a short period of leisure/tourist travel.
  • Athletic or artistic visa: These are reserved for competing athletes, performing artists, and the like.
  • Cultural exchange visa: Generally for athletes/artists participating in cultural exchange programs.

What are the different types of long-stay visas in the United States?

There are various visas the U.S. government gives to individuals who are looking to stay in the U.S. for a longer, albeit limited period of time. Those visas are as follows:

  • Refugee visa: If you are a foreign national seeking to flee significant danger in your country, such as persecution, natural disaster, or otherwise, you may receive a refugee visa.
  • Student visa: This allows foreign nationals to receive higher education here in the U.S.
  • Asylum visa: Not dissimilar to the refugee visa, asylum visas are granted to those who are fearful of persecution in their country due to race, beliefs, associations with a particular group, etc.
  • Temporary worker visa for approved employment: The most common type of worker visa is the H-1B visa.
  • Journalist visa: For journalists who wish to report for their news organizations in the U.S.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin immigration firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Do I Apply for an EB-1 Visa?
  •  What Happens During the Fiancé Visa Interview?
  •  What Happens if My Visa Is Denied?
  •  What Are Tips For Avoiding Deportation?