Syrian Temporary Protected Status

The United States government has compiled a list of countries whose people they would like to extend a level of protection to. They offer Temporary Protected Status to the citizens of countries that are currently experiencing high levels of trauma that may include civil war or extreme violence. This is currently the case in Syria. The Syrian civil war has resulted in the displacement of millions of people. Certain states throughout the United States have made the decision to allow Syrian refugees to live there. As of August 1, 2016, the United States has also extended the Temporary Protected Status for people from Syria. Now, Syrians are under protection from the United States through March 31, 2018.

In order to be eligible for this extension of protected status, people who are currently here will have to re-register for this extension. They must do so in the time period between August 1, 2016 and September 30, 2016, if they currently have Temporary Protected Status. If a person does not currently have TPS, they will have to apply between August 1, 2016  and January 30, 2017. In order to be eligible to apply for TPS if you are from Syria, you must continuously reside in the United States from August 1, 2016, on. In addition to these time requirements, you must also submit Form-821 and Form-765, as well as the respective fees for both of these forms. Form-821 is the application for Temporary Protected Status and Form-765 is an application for employment authorization so you can legally work while under protected status.

If you believe you are from Syria and believe you may be eligible for an extension of your Temporary Protected Status, you should speak with an experienced immigration attorney today to answer any questions you may have about the process.

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green  Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. If you have any questions regarding these matters, please contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and obtain your initial consultation.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Who Is Eligible for an F-3 Visa?
  •  What is an R-1 Visa?
  •  How Can I Become a Naturalized Citizen?
  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?