What schools can someone with a student visa attend?

Education is one of the most important aspects of society. Children need to be educated in order to deal with events in life and to be successful. There are many different options for education. Young people can choose to attend a high school, private school or a trade school to learn a skill. They can further choose to go to a college or university to receive a higher education. With so many different programs, there is so much to learn. Students can find their strengths and identify their weaknesses. This can give them a better sense of who they are as a person.

When immigrants wish to come to the United States to receive an education, they may be able to do so. First, they will have to receive a student visa to be approved for entry and residence in the country during the time they are being educated. Student visas can be obtained for a variety of educational institutions. The M visa is for those wishing to attend a vocational or other non-academic institution. The F visa is for individuals looking to attend a university, college, high school, seminary, conservatory or private elementary school. With two options for student visas, there are more opportunities for individuals to pursue an education in the United States.

How many steps are in the process to obtain one?

To obtain a student visa, you will have to go through a few steps to be approved. First, there are requirements to consider before you even apply for one. The school you intend to attend must be approved by a Student and Exchange Visitor program approved school. Applicants must apply for the visa that best fits their school program, which consists of either the M or F visa based on the specific place of education you will go to. Visas can be requested through an embassy, consulate or even online.

When the application is completed, an interview will be scheduled to review more in-depth about your student visa. Before the interview, individuals should gather documents that are required to be examined at the meeting. These documents may include a passport that will be eligible for six months beyond the stay period, an application fee receipt, the I-20 form and a certificate of eligibility for an F-1 or M-1 visa. A photo of yourself may also be asked to prove your identity. A nonimmigrant visa application can also be viewed.

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. If you have any questions regarding immigration law matters, please contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Who Is Eligible for an F-3 Visa?
  •  What is an R-1 Visa?
  •  How Can I Become a Naturalized Citizen?
  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?