Obtaining a Green Card in the United States

There are many reasons that an individual may wish to come to the United States. Some reasons may be for your family, a job offer or employment, refugee or asylum status, and more. In order to come into the country with permanent residence status, one must apply for the United States Permanent Resident Card, otherwise known as a “Green Card.” This is simply in reference to its green color. This card allows an individual to live and work permanently in the United States. If you wish to obtain a Green Card, an experienced Milwaukee attorney can guide you through the process.

Am I Eligible?

Immigration laws allow for many different ways to apply for a Green Card. In order to apply for a Green Card, one must be eligible to do so under one of the various categories by meeting certain criteria. The categories for eligibility are:

  • Family-Based: This green card is for immediate U.S. relatives. This may include parents, spouses, and unmarried children under the age of 21.
  • Job or employment-based: This green card is for people who wish to become immigrants on the basis of a job offer or employment.
  • Refugee or asylum: This green card available to immigrants who were admitted to the U.S. as refugees or a spouse/child of a refugee. They are able to apply for permanent residents one year after they entered the country. The same option is available for those granted asylum or a spouse/child of an asylee.
  • Special programs

The Process

It is important to know that the process of acquiring a Green Card may take months or even more than a year. It is a long process that requires a good amount of patience. The process requires a study of the applicant’s character and verification of their identity. It is also necessary for the applicant to be interviewed by an immigration officer. For those petitioning for a Green Card as a spouse, an immigration officer will need proof of a valid marriage.

Majority of individuals applying for a Green Card usually have to supply an affidavit of support. This requires them to have a sponsor that fills out the form on their behalf during the application process. This sponsor takes financial responsibility for the applicant by proving that they can financially support themselves once they are admitted as a permanent residence into the United States. This is to ensure the individual will not need welfare or any other benefits from the country.

Contact our Firm

If you or someone you know is looking to apply for a Green Card to enter the United States, contact Sesini Law Group, S.C. today.

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. If you have any questions regarding immigration law matters, please contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?
  •  What Should I Know About the New Action to Secure the Border?
  •  What is an EB-3 Visa?
  •  How Can I Prepare for My Green Card Interview?