Employment Authorization in the United States

There are many people in the world who wish to come to the United States for new opportunities. One of those opportunities is employment within the country. In order to legally enter the United States, an individual must either be a citizen or have a visa. A visa states a person’s reason for entering the country. There are many different types of visas for that will admit a foreigner to enter the United States for employment.

Temporary Work Visas

A temporary work visa allows a foreign individual to take a job within the United States for a limited period of time. There are several different types of temporary work visas depending on the profession of the individual. This includes but is not limited to:

  • H-1B visa for specialty workers and fashion models
  • H-1C visa for registered nurses
  • H-2A visa for agricultural workers
  • H-2B visa for non-agricultural workers
  • H-3 visa for trainees and special education visitors
  • I-1 visa is for foreign media
  • O visa for individuals with extraordinary achievements in a certain field
  • P-1 visa for athletes and entertainers
  • P-2 visa is for artists in exchange programs
  • P-3 visa is for artists with the purpose of teaching or performing
  • Q-1 visa is for individuals who participate in cultural exchange programs

H-1B Visas

An H-1B visa is very commonly sought employment in the United States. The visa is a allows employers within the country to hire foreign nationals in “specialty occupations” for a period of time. These are occupations that require knowledge specific to that field. This may include professions in sciences, education law, mathematics, engineering, and more. The visa will be issued for three years but may be extended for the same amount of time.

L-1 Visas

An L-1 visa is used by foreigners who wish to have temporary employment. It is used for those who are filling a supervisor or managing position. It is also used for those who have skilled knowledge in certain fields. There are two types of L-1 visas:

  • L-1A: For supervising and managerial positions. This visa holder is allowed to work in the country for up to 7 years.
  • L-1B: For those with important knowledge in certain professions. This visa holder is allowed to work in the country for up to 5 years.

Investor Visas

An investor visa, also known as a treaty visa, allows trade to occur between different countries. With this visa, an investor may come to the United States self-employed. Those with this visa are able to bring their family to the country as well. Their family may also be eligible for employment during their period of stay. There are two types of investor visas:

  • E-1: For an employee of a treaty trader. They must hold a managing position or show an exceptional skill or experience.
  • E-2: For investors of enterprises. The applicant must be in the process of investing or have already invested in a U.S. enterprise.

Both visas last 5 years and may be renewed every 5 years.

Contact Our Firm

If you or someone you know is looking to apply for a visa to enter the United States, contact Sesini Law Group, S.C. today.

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. If you have any questions regarding immigration law matters, please contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?
  •  What Should I Know About the New Action to Secure the Border?
  •  What is an EB-3 Visa?
  •  How Can I Prepare for My Green Card Interview?