How does a lawful permanent resident get a reentry permit?

One question that many permanent residents have is in regards to whether they can leave the United States without violating the terms of their residency and making sure they can properly reenter the United States at the end of their trip. In order to understand how you can enter the United States, it is important to understand what happens if you violate your lawful permanent residency upon leaving.

It is important to be aware that you may put your status as a permanent resident in jeopardy if you violate the terms of traveling. If you leave the United States for one year or longer, you will not be eligible to reenter the country. In addition, your status as a permanent resident may be considered “abandoned” if you leave for less than a year but become a resident of another country.

These issues can be avoided by obtaining a reentry permit. A permit of this sort shows that although you are leaving the Untied States for up to two years, you do not intend to abandon your status as a permanent resident. If you do not have a passport from your home country, you may want to consider obtaining a reentry permit. A reentry permit is generally valid for two years from the date in which it was issued to you.

If you are a lawful permanent resident and have questions about traveling outside of the United States, it is important that you consult with an experienced attorney who can assess the circumstances surrounding your case and provide you with assistance.

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. If you have any questions regarding these matters, please contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and obtain your initial consultation.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is a National Interest Waiver?
  •  What Is the Visa Bulletin?
  •  Who Is Eligible for an F2 Visa?
  •  What Is an Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing?