How Do I Renew My Employment Visa?

Say, for instance, that you currently reside in the United States based on your employment visa status. Well, this visa comes with an expiration that will prompt you to either renew it or return to your country of origin. Follow along to find out how to renew your United States work visa and how a proficient work authorization permit lawyer in Milwaukee, WI, at the Sesini Law Group, S.C., can help determine your eligibility.

Am I eligible to renew my work visa?

Before all else, you must determine whether you are eligible to renew your work visa at all. According to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), you may qualify if you fall under the following categories:

  • You were lawfully permitted to enter the United States with a nonimmigrant visa status.
  • Your nonimmigrant visa status is still valid.
  • You do not have a criminal record or have committed any crimes that would make you ineligible for a United States visa.
  • You have not violated any of the conditions of your admission into the United States.
  • Your passport is valid and is set to remain valid duration the duration of your time in the United States.

How do I renew my work visa?

Once you have established that you are eligible to renew your work visa, you must take the proper steps toward doing so. The USCIS has an established process in place for filing such a request, and it reads as follows:

  1. You must fill out Form I-539, otherwise known as the Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status, in accordance with its stated instructions.
  2. You must submit the filing fee of $370, along with the biometric service fee of $85, if applicable.
  3. You must submit all required evidence and documentation, in accordance with the application’s stated instructions. Notably, different types of work visas may require different types of evidence.
  4. You must sign Form I-539 and file it with the correct location, in accordance with the application’s stated instructions.

Of note, if your spouse and/or unmarried children under 21 require a similar renewal of status, then you may include their names on your application.

Overall, it is important that you understand just how time sensitive this matter is. You must start this application process on or before your visa’s stated expiration date. Otherwise, you may suffer from consequences far worse than just being denied your request. For one, you may be deported from the United States. Or, you may even be permanently barred from returning to the United States.

If you require assistance with filling out this application correctly and timely, then you must consult with a talented work authorization permit lawyer as soon as possible.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is a National Interest Waiver?
  •  What Is the Visa Bulletin?
  •  Who Is Eligible for an F2 Visa?
  •  What Is an Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing?