How Can I Obtain Permanent Residence Through Family Ties?

Notably, there are many different ways in which you can obtain permanent resident status, otherwise known as green card status, in the United States. One of these ways is through family ties to the country. Follow along to find out how you can become a permanent resident with the help of a family member and how a proficient green card lawyer in Milwaukee, WI, at the Sesini Law Group, S.C., can guide you through this.

How can I obtain permanent residence through a family member?

You will not have to wait for a visa if you have an immediate relative who is a United States citizen. More specifically, an immediate relative is considered your parent, your spouse, or your unmarried child who is under the age of 21.

How do I apply for permanent residence through a family member?

If you are applying for this family-based visa, you will have to be a non-United States citizen that is residing within the country at this time. You will also have to submit to biometrics and a formal interview with a United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) officer. And if you are claiming that your spouse is a United States citizen who is allowing you this opportunity for green card eligibility, then you may have to provide the USCIS officer with proof of a valid marriage, among other pieces of evidence.

A family-based visa is unique because there is no limit to the number of visas that can be issued. So the hope is that your application process for permanent residence status is streamlined.

In what other ways can I obtain a green card?

If you do not have an immediate relative who is a United States citizen, then you can still rest assured knowing that there are other options for obtaining a green card. For one, you may be eligible for a job- or employment-based visa. This is so long as you have a job offer that may apply for permanent residence, or an immigrant visa if you are residing outside of the court at this time.

On the other hand, you may be able to apply for a refugee- or asylum-based visa. This is so long as you were admitted to the United States as a refugee, or as a qualifying spouse or child of a refugee, more than one year ago. Or, this is so long as you were granted asylum in the United States, or are a qualifying spouse or child of an asylee, more than one year ago.

And still, there are more special programs available to help you obtain permanent resident status in the United States. To find out more, you must consult with a talented Milwaukee, WI family immigration lawyer today. We look forward to meeting you.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is a National Interest Waiver?
  •  What Is the Visa Bulletin?
  •  Who Is Eligible for an F2 Visa?
  •  What Is an Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing?