How Can I Obtain a Visa Through a Religious Worker Program?

Say, for instance, that you wish to temporarily, legally stay in the United States. More specifically, say that the reason for your stay is to work in some sort of religious capacity. Well, this may constitute an R-1 visa, otherwise known as a temporary religious worker visa. Read on to discover how to obtain a visa through a religious worker program and how a seasoned work authorization permit lawyer in Milwaukee, WI, at Sesini Law Group, S.C., can take you step by step.

What makes me considered a temporary religious worker?

Of note, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) enforces strict guidelines for what is considered a temporary religious worker. These guidelines read as follows:

  • You must be planning to work at least part-time, with an average of at least 20 hours per week.
  • You must be planning to work as a minister or in another type of religious vocation or occupation.
  • You must be employed by a non-profit religious organization or otherwise an organization affiliated with your religious denomination.
  • You must be a member of the same religious denomination as the religious organization you intend to work for, for at least two years prior.

If you do not fall in line with these guidelines, then you may rest assured knowing that you may still apply for a temporary stay in the United States. That is, you may petition for a visitor visa, otherwise known as a B-2 visa. Within your application, you may explain that you wish to visit the country for any of the following reasons:

  • You wish to participate in informal religious study.
  • You wish to attend religious services or conferences.
  • You wish to perform missionary or voluntary religious services.

What steps can I take to obtain a visa through a religious worker program?

If you proceed forward with applying through a religious worker program, then you must take the following steps:

  1. You must fill out Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, and submit it to the USCIS.
  2. You must upload your photo with the online application, in a format accepted by the photograph requirements.
  3. You must supplement your online application with its required fee, which is approximately $185.
  4. You must schedule an interview at the United States Embassy or Consulate in the country where you live.
  5. You must gather and prepare the required documentation for your interview:
    • Your passport.
    • A printed copy of your online application.
    • A printed copy of your photo upload.
    • A printed receipt of your fee payment.
    • Any other documentation that is requested of you.

With taking all these steps into account, you must not wait too long to retain the services of a competent Milwaukee, WI work authorization permit lawyer. So please call Sesini Law Group, S.C. at your earliest possible convenience.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?
  •  What Should I Know About the New Action to Secure the Border?
  •  What is an EB-3 Visa?
  •  How Can I Prepare for My Green Card Interview?