Helping a Relative Gain Citizenship in Wisconsin | What to Know

If you are a United States citizen with family living outside of the country, you may be wondering if/how you can help them gain citizenship. Depending on the situation, this may be done with a Form I-130. Read on to learn more about the process and what it entails.

Where Does the Form I-130 get filed?

Where you currently live plays a dramatic part in determining how you will file your Form I-130. If you are someone who is currently living in the United States, as a United States citizen, you will file your form either at the Phoenix, Chicago, or Dallas Lockbox. However, if you are a United States citizen living outside of the United States, and you are filing for an unmarried child under the age of 21, or for one of your parents, you will do so at the USCIS international office in the country where you are currently living. If you are a United States citizen who is living outside of the U.S. and in a country where there is not USCIS international lockbox, then you will have to file at the Dallas lockbox.

How Much Does it Cost to File an I-130 Form?

It will cost $535 to file. This can be expensive, so it is important to file correctly in order to avoid spending more. You will have to pay this fee either via personal check, money order, cashier’s check, or by credit card via Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions.

What Information do I Need to File a Form I-130?

It is crucial that you submit all necessary information when filing, which is why you should retain the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney. An attorney will walk you through the process and ensure that your forms are correctly filled out and filed. Some of the information you will need to submit includes evidence of your U.S. citizenship, U.S. national status, or lawful permanent residence, a copy of your child’s birth certificate (or your marriage certificate), a copy of your birth certificate, and more. The Form also requires you to submit the beneficiary’s full name, physical address, date of birth, and marital information.

If you have any questions or concerns about helping a relative gain U.S. Citizenship, contact our firm today. We are here to walk you through all of your immigration law needs.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Do I Apply for an EB-1 Visa?
  •  What Happens During the Fiancé Visa Interview?
  •  What Happens if My Visa Is Denied?
  •  What Are Tips For Avoiding Deportation?