What is an EAD? | What to Know

Employment Authorization Documents, or EADs, grant immigrants legal access to employment in the country. In order to work for certain employers, immigrants will have to prove that they are, in fact, allowed to work in the United States for a certain period of time. Read on to learn more about EADs.

How do I Get an EAD?

If you are authorized to work in the United States because of your immigration status as an asylee, refugee or U nonimmigrant, you will need evidence of employment authorization. Additionally, if you are someone who is required to apply for permission to work in the U.S., such as those with pending Form I-485s, Form I-589s, or those who need permission from USCIS, to work in the U.S., you will need an EAD. Those who require EADs must file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.

How Can I Renew my EAD?

Renewing an EAD is a fairly straightforward process, but at times, it can become complicated. Essentially, if you are eligible for employment authorization but your EAD is either expiring or has expired, you must file for renewal by filling out and submitting a new Form I-765, along with a potential filing fee. This can be difficult, so it is best to speak with an experienced immigration attorney.

What Should I do if I Lose my EAD?

If your EAD is lost, stolen or destroyed, you may simply file a new Form I-765 with a filing fee. However, if you request a fee waiver, you may not have to pay the fee if approved. Additionally, if you realize your EAD has false or incorrect information due to an error on USCIS’s part, you may submit the card with false information, a clear explanation of what was incorrect, and supporting documentation regarding the correct information with no additional filing fee. These documents are very important, so reach out to our firm with any questions or concerns.

If you are looking to obtain, renew, or replace an EAD, contact our firm today to speak with an experienced and dedicated immigration attorney.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Do I Apply for an EB-1 Visa?
  •  What Happens During the Fiancé Visa Interview?
  •  What Happens if My Visa Is Denied?
  •  What Are Tips For Avoiding Deportation?