Foreign National Who Wants to Start a Business in the U.S.A? An E-2 Treaty Investor Visa Can Help You Accomplish That.

What’s an E-2 Visa?

An E-2 Visa is a great way a foreign national can start a business in the U.S.A..  An E-2 Visa Classification is specifically available to nationals of a treaty country who seek to develop a business in the United States.  This type of visa is also referred to as a treaty visa, as it encourages trade between the U.S. and the treaty country.

What are Some Requirements or Qualifications for an E-2 Visa?

  1. You must be a national of a treaty country. The E-2 Investor Trader Visa is only available to people from countries that have a Treat with the Untied States.  Not all countries are on the list of treaty countries.
  2. You must have invested or be actively in the process of investing substantial capital. This means that you should have a substantial amount of money in an United States enterprise.
  3. Enter the United States only to develop and direct your business. Someone seeking an E-2 Visa should show at least 50% ownership in an enterprise, or they should show operational control as a manager or corporate officer.

How Long Can I Stay in the United States with an E-2 Visa?

Individuals with an E-2 Visa can stay in the U.S., initially, for two years.  Those individuals can, however, request extensions of their stay for up to 2 years at a time.  There is no maximum number of extensions an E-2 Visa holder may be granted.

If you are interested in learning more about an E-2 Visa, and/or if you need legal counsel to assist you in your E-2 application process, please contact an experienced immigration attorney who can assess your situation and provide you with assistance.

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. If you have any questions regarding these matters, please contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and obtain your initial consultation.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is a National Interest Waiver?
  •  What Is the Visa Bulletin?
  •  Who Is Eligible for an F2 Visa?
  •  What Is an Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing?